Top Stories / National
Wednesday, 03 Aug 2016 11:10 EATnewsdesk@kenyafreepress.com
Three cabinet secretaries and the military chief of staff toured Kilifi County on Monday to assess the famine crisis that has hit the region.
The ministers led by Mwangi Kiunjuri (Devolution and Planning), Dan Kazungu (Mining) and Phyllis Kandie (Labour) as well as commander of the Kenya Defence Forces, General Samson Mwathethe, said at the conclusion of their visit that the government will supply relief food to address a hunger situation affecting nearly 200,000 people.
The officials toured the affected areas on a fact finding mission after a Presidential directive. It is estimated that 198,802 people face extreme hunger in Kilifi County. They were to report to the President on Tuesday, according to Minister Kiunjuri.
Kilifi County government has been forced to provide emergency food aid to the residents since the famine became acute in June.
Kilifi Deputy County Secretary, Rose Ngoa, said the county government had supplied 4,830 bags of 90kg maize and 2,430 bags of 90kg of beans since the disaster started.
Magarini Sub County alone has 112,620 people in need of urgent food help, according to Kilifi County Commissioner Joseph Keter, who said Ganze had 58,182 people facing famine and Malindi 28,000 people.
Speaking at Kathama area in Chakama of Malindi Sub County the County Commissioner said many areas of Kilifi County did not receive rainfall since last year which led to the famine.
“Some reports indicate that the people have been eating wild fruits but this is not true. However, we have an extreme famine situation, with Magarini being the most affected by the disaster followed by Ganze and Malindi,’’ he said.
The meeting was attended by hundreds of residents who had also carried baskets to get relief food. They asked the government to provide them with water pumps and irrigation facilities for small scale farmers to do farming to avoid over reliance of relief food.