December 18th 2017

Top Stories / National

Cabinet approves Sh10 billion for fresh election; IEBC sought more

Therefore, the Cabinet decided to reorganize planned expenditures for 2017/18 fiscal year, in line with Article 223 of the Constitution and Section 44 of the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA), 2012 in order to meet the obligations wrought by the new priorities.

By Phillip MuleeThursday, 21 Sep 2017 20:17 EAT

Treasury CS Henry Rotich (left) with Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiangi arrive at State House.

The Cabinet has approved an allocation of Sh10 billion to fund the repeat presidential election slated for October 26. The approval comes just less than 24 hours after the Supreme Court delivered the full judgment since it annulled President Uhuru Kenyatta’s win on September 1. “The Supreme Court, in its Sept 1 decision, directed that repeat presidential elections be held within 60 days.

The embattled Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) had presented a Sh12.2 billion budget which, Treasury CS Henry Rotich said was being reviewed. The money had also been estimated, cross Sh15 billion when related activities - largely security measures - are factored.

Rotich had warned that ministries, State agencies, the Judiciary and Parliament face cuts in spending after the Treasury raided their budgets for cash to finance the October 17 repeat presidential election and extend the food subsidy programme. The CS said he was reviewing a request for additional Sh5 billion from the Interior ministry towards security measures, with another request for additional Sh3 billion from the Agriculture ministry towards the extended Sh6.5 billion maize subsidy programme.

He said last week that independent commissions and the 47 counties would also be affected by the action that will help cover for the unforeseen expenditure that wasn’t factored in the Sh2.29 trillion 2017/18 budget approved by Parliament.

Cabinet that met this morning, according to Esipisu discussed important matters that concern the country this time, including the financial implications of the Supreme Court decision in respect of the August 8 elections and expenditure on emerging priorities.

It was chaired by President Kenyatta and attended by Deputy President William Ruto, and all Cabinet Secretaries, except CS Foreign Affairs who is currently leading Kenya’s delegation to the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York.

Cabinet also approved a tranche of Sh1.9 billion to settle the last of the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), a legacy of the 2007/08 post-election violence.

The Supplementary budget expected to be presented in Parliament for approval will also include Sh25 billion to cover Free Secondary Education programme.

The Government, according to Esipisu’s statement is fully committed to providing complete free day secondary education effective January 1, 2018. He said requisite infrastructure will be provided through government initiative that leads to 100 per cent transition from primary to secondary school.

In 2018, the Form One intake will cater for 1,003,552 learners sitting their KCPE this year, he said adding of this 903,200 will join public schools, while 100,322 will join private ones. The budget allocation now made, he noted will cater for an anticipated influx of leaders into public schools at the dawn of free day secondary education.

The Cabinet further approved an allocation of Sh6.5 billion to cover the enhanced Inua Jamii programme, under which all Kenyans aged 70 and above are entitled to a stipend that ensures they lead decent lives in retirement.

Also approved was an allocation of Sh4.2 billion to cover the hosting of the African Nations Championships (CHAN), one in a growing list of events Kenya has bid for as part of showcasing our nation’s talent and promoting tourism.

Meanwhile, the Cabinet agreed to rationalize Government allocations to development projects funded fully using locally raised revenues, as well as curtail aspects of expenditure not seen as priorities in order to meet its new obligations.

Therefore, the Cabinet decided to reorganize planned expenditures for 2017/18 fiscal year, in line with Article 223 of the Constitution and Section 44 of the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA), 2012 in order to meet the obligations wrought by the new priorities.

“Accordingly, Cabinet agreed to regularise all approved expenditures granted in terms of Article 223 of the Constitution and also approved all the reallocations as proposed in the Financial Year 2017/18 Supplementary Budget estimates.

---





Stay Connected