September 27th 2017

Top Stories / National

CSs Rotich, Mohamed and others admitted in hospital with cholera symptoms

The results of the probe were expected to be made public on Monday following the formation of a task force by health executive Bernard Muia to investigate the incident.

By Free Press Reporternewsdesk@kenyafreepress.comFriday, 14 Jul 2017 17:37 EAT

National Treasury CS Henry Rotich addressing media at a past event.

Treasury CS Henry Rotich and his Industrialisation counterpart Adan Mohamed and several other patients are admitted at Nairobi Hospital reportedly suffering from cholera disease. A source at Nairobi Hospital confirmed that Mr Rotich was rushed there at midday today Friday after reporting he had diarrhoea.

The admission of the CS and others patients in the hospital came in the heels of a cholera outbreak reported at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre (KICC) in Nairobi, where attending a trade forum, including the CS, got infected. It was also reported that some workers of Jacaranda Hotel in Westlands were also infected.

Kenyatta National Hospital spokesman Simon Ithai was quoted in the Star saying several people are admitted there with the disease but could not confirm where the cases were initially reported.

"We are working on a detailed report to know the origin of the cases," he said.

A similar case was reported at Weston Hotel in Nairobi in June. Sick doctors posted on social media laboratory results showing they tested positive for cholera. They possibly contracted the disease at the hotel where they had been attending a week-long health conference.

Despite the publicized story on cholera outbreak at Weston Hotel the Nairobi County health department which had launched investigation on Monday failed, for the second time, to release results of an investigation into the outbreak of the disease in the Hotel.

More than 50 people who were attending a conference at the hotel allegedly contracted the disease. They were admitted to hospitals, treated and later discharged. Also admitted at Nairobi Hospital is NTV journalist Robert Gichira who was covering the expo that kicked off on Wednesday.

The results of the probe were expected to be made public on Monday following the formation of a task force by health executive Bernard Muia to investigate the incident. But Muia said the committee is yet to conclude the investigations as it was "still putting some heads together."

“This is a scientific research which obviously takes time. The committee is working retrogressively to know the cause and where the condition came from,” he said.

.





Stay Connected