August 21st 2017

Top Stories / National

ODM controversially absolves Joho, Junet from scrutiny over Migori violence

The above statement did not include the name of Governor Joho despite Mr Etale later clarifying that he was not being summoned. The second statement also omitted Mr Mohamed's name.

By Phillip MuleeWednesday, 12 Apr 2017 17:23 EAT

Governor Joho being received by Junet Mohamed at his arrival to Migori for rally last week.

The ODM Disciplinary Committee today cleared Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan Joho and Suna East MP Mohamed Mohamed from grilling over Migori violence. In what appeared as selective justice for the two, the committee changed an earlier press release saying that had included their names among other politicians the party summoned for grilling.

Those summoned to appear before the committee tomorrow Thursday at 2.30pm for questioning include Migori Governor Okoth Obado, legislators Elizabeth Ongoro and T.J. Kajwang’ and gubernatorial aspirant Ochilo Ayako. The grilling will take place at Orange House.

ODM Director of Communications Philip Etale in a statement corrected the news for the summoning of Messrs Joho and Mohamed. "In the earlier statement, we had included the names of DPL (Deputy Party Leader) Hassan Joho and Hon. Junet Mohamed. The two shall not appear as earlier indicated”.

The party said on Monday 10 April, the Disciplinary Committee met and grilled several members of the party who had been issued with summonses following cases of violence during their campaigns. “During the session held at a Nairobi Hotel, we gathered views from 16 politicians from Migori and Busia Counties as well as Ruaraka and Mathare Constituencies on the account of what transpired in their respective areas in the past two weeks. 

“The Committee is now in the process of making a report that will be made public. However, for purposes of clarity, the Committee has invited Migori Governor Mr Okoth Obado, legislators Ms Elizabeth Ongoro, Mr T.J. Kajwang’ and Mr Junet Mohammed and gubernatorial aspirant Mr. Ochilo Ayacko for a meeting with the Committee tomorrow Thursday 13th April 2017 at Orange House at 2:30pm”.

The above statement did not include the name of Governor Joho despite Mr Etale later clarifying that he was not being summoned. The second statement also omitted Mr Mohamed's name. While the two are senior party leaders, they took pole position in the event that precipitated the violence, with Mr Mohamed being the host and Joho the guest of honour.

In a surprise turn of events, the Disciplinary Committee recommended that Governor Sospeter Ojaamong’ and the MP for Funyula Paul Otuoma be cautioned and asked to adhere to the Code of Conduct which they both have sworn in their quest for the party ticket following the chaos in Busia County where one person was killed and scores of others injured.

“The two were also put to the undertaking that there shall be no violence before, during and after the party nominations in the County and that they should restrain their supporters from acts of violence”, ODM said.

---





Stay Connected