Top Stories / Counties
Friday, 16 Jun 2017 11:20 EATamboleokata@gmail.com
Independent candidates seeking various elective seats in Nakuru County have said that they will not succumb to pressure from anyone to step down in favour of the Jubilee party candidates.
Speaking to the press Nakuru Town East parliamentary aspirant Benson Mwangi said that it is wrong for Jubilee party leaders to move around persuading Independent Candidates competing against them to opt out.
“No one should be coming here to tell Independent Candidates to step down because we will not step down for anybody,” he said. Mwangi said that the decision on who becomes elected as the Member of Parliament will be made by the electorate insisting that he is in the race to the end.
He said that he will only respect the decision wananchi will make on the 8th of August adding that quitting the race will only amount to betrayal of the people of Nakuru Town East constituency. “On 8th of August Kenyans will make a decision and that is the decision we will respect,” said Mwangi
His remarks came days after President Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto prevailed upon Governor Kinuthia Mbugua to quit the gubernatorial race as an Independent Candidate and support Lee Kinyanjui who is the Jubilee party gubernatorial candidate.
Mbugua who had been cleared by the IEBC to defend the seat as an Independent was forced to step down by president Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto when they toured Nakuru county two weeks ago.
The writer is contributing reporter for the Kenya Free Press based in Nakuru County