Top Stories / Counties
Wednesday, 19 Apr 2017 17:58 EATamboleokata@gmail.com
Ten ODM aspirants for the Kivumbuni civic seat and Nakuru Town East parliamentary seat have formally written to the party's National Elections Board demanding that the party headquarters expedite the setting of a new date for primaries after the exercise was marred with chaos yesterday.
Led by Sakwa Neto, Rose Lai, Rispah Auma and Samuel Oyaro, the aspirants have expressed disappointment with the chaos that erupted in Baharini, St Theresa and Nakuru Central Primary School polling stations. They said that the chaos not only spoiled the image of the party but also caused some aspirants to begin losing trust in the management of the nominations exercise.
Ms Lai lamented that it was important for the party headquarters to provide an alternative for those whose names are missing in the IEBC register in order to ensure that they participate in the nomination polls.
She said that it was unfortunate that the IEBC register has not yet been updated yet the mass voter registration exercise was completed last month, leaving parties with no option but to use the 2013 register. The use of the 2013 register according to the aspirant will lock out many people who would otherwise have had the opportunity to vote for candidates of their choice.
The aspirants have made the appeal at a time when Nakuru ODM branch chairman Peter ole Osono is expected to hold a crisis meeting at the Nakuru West Sub County.
The writer is contributing reporter for the Kenya Free Press based in Nakuru County