December 12th 2017

Top Stories / Counties

Two behind case to remove Governor Awiti from office fear for their lives before hearing

Judge Omondi adjourned the hearing till next week Wednesday 29 March after the county government’s advocate Samuel Nyauke requested for more time to study the petition. Mr Nyauke argued that he had not had sufficient time to study the petition and needed more time to file a reply.

By Samuel OwidaSunday, 26 Mar 2017 14:35 EAT

Governor Cyprian Awiti.

Two youths who sued Homa Bay Governor Cyprian Awiti over misappropriation of public funds have expressed fear for their life and prayed to court to grant them security. The petitioners, Mersses Michael Kojo Otieno and Samora Machel Alosi, appeared before Homa Bay Judge Hellen Omondi last week and appealed that they be accorded special security on grounds that their lives were in danger after they received information that some people were after their lives.

“We are requesting to be provided with security because we have received information to the effect that some people are not happy with our filing of the case and are planning an attack on us,” said Mr Otieno. The duo went to court to seek the removal of Governor Awiti, County Secretary Isaiah Ogwe, Tourism and Sports executive member Ms Dorothy Okelo and Water and Environment executive member Beatrice Ogola and county assembly for presiding over the misappropriation and misuse of public funds saying residents of the county have not received the value for money.

In their prayers, they want Mr Awiti and the other respondents barred from holding public office as their presence in the offices violates the Constitution and the law for the prudent management of public funds. They pointed out that the continued misappropriation and misuse of the funds contravene the constitution and is bound to make the residents suffer due to failure in the implementation of development projects.

Judge Omondi adjourned the hearing till next week Wednesday 29 March after the county government’s advocate Samuel Nyauke requested for more time to study the petition. Mr Nyauke argued that he had not had sufficient time to study the petition and needed more time to file a reply.

“I was served with the petition on Friday last week, but that squeezed yet it requires perusal of documentary evidence for me and my clients to prepare appropriately,” Mr Nyauke said. During the case, the number of respondents was reduced from 10 to nine after the tenth respondent, the Attorney General’s representative, requested to be excluded from the case and instead be admitted as a friend of the court.

The writer is a contributing reporter for the Kenya Free Press based in Homa Bay County





Stay Connected