Top Stories / 2017 Elections
Thursday, 13 Jul 2017 14:41 EAT
President Uhuru has dismissed as mischievous, baseless and absolutely laughable claims by his main challenger NASA’s Raila Odinga that he’s not ready to hand over power should he lose the August 8, polls. The President at the same time denied of plans to manipulate election results.
In a statement sent to newsrooms by State House Spokesperson, Manoah Esipisu, stated that President Uhuru has been, and continues to be on record that he shall accept the will of Kenyan voters on August 8th 2017, whatever that may be.
He accused the opposition of working hard to derail preparations for the elections, adding that they have so far filed more than 30 cases in court, terming them frivolous and without merit, all aimed at influencing, dictating and even stopping the elections from happening.
“In his many meet–the–people tours and re–election campaign stops across the country, His Excellency President Uhuru has been, and continues to be on record that he shall accept the will of Kenyan voters on August 8th 2017, whatever that may be.
“While the President has been campaigning across the country for his re–election to retain leadership and continue transforming Kenya, his opponents continue to work hard to attempt to derail preparations for the August 8th elections”, said he.
He denied of having a strategy in place to manipulate the elections saying such claims amount to incitement and reckless conspiracy that jeopardises vital public faith in our institutions and democratic processes.
The State House Spokesperson also accused the opposition of making demands without reason or logic, with the most recent one being that they must be included in the tender committee to procure ballot papers for the forthcoming elections. He added “there is no bigger interference in the independence of IEBC, than that of dictating how they run their affairs”
He was reacting to a statement released by Raila on Tuesday, saying that President Uhuru was not ready to hand over power after losing the August polls. He further said that the President was marshalling security apparatus to assist in rigging the elections as well as forestall chaos.
Esipisu challenged the former Prime Minister and other opposition challengers to reassure the people of Kenya that they will categorically pledge acceptance of the results of the 2017 Presidential ballot and will seek to ensure that the elections take place as gazetted on 8th August by doing all within their power to assist in delivering a peaceful, transparent and timely vote next month.
He also challenged those he termed architects of democracy in our country to understand what he referred to as four fundamental matters;
a) President Uhuru has repeatedly reassured Kenyans and the IEBC of his commitment to elections are on 8 August 2017 as determined by law.
b) The President has committed to peaceful, free, fair, transparent and credible elections.
c) President Uhuru is a staunch supporter of our democratic institutions and has supported them fully, including politically and through the fiscal process.
d) The President has publicly unequivocally committed to accepting election results.
He said the one statement that Kenyans are demanding of all candidates in the elections – from MCA to President – is a commitment and promise to the country that they will accept the results of elections on August 8th – the will of Kenyan people.
“Those who call themselves architects of democracy in our country would be expected to understand this”, he said.
Esipisu urged all media houses to rigorously challenge such proclamations and apply due diligence in the publication of inflammatory remarks in line with their responsibility to serve the public interest. “I plead with media houses not to accept opposition hogwash without question”, he added.