July 27th 2017

Top Stories / 2017 Elections

IEBC disqualifies Rarieda aspirant over electoral offences

“The Electoral Code of Conduct Enforcement Committee notes that the said Netto Adhola failed, neglected and ignored to obey any of the Orders . The timeframe for compliance having lapsed on 24th June, 2017” Chebukati said in the statement.

By Cynthia Gitaucgitau@kenyafreepress.comTuesday, 04 Jul 2017 19:51 EAT

IEBC chairman Wafula Chebukati confers with the CEO Ezra Chiloba during a press conference.

The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) has suspended the Rarieda aspirant Augustine Netto Adhola who is vying for the seat as an independent candidate.

Mr Netto now becomes the first casualty on the long list of politicians who have breached the electoral code of conduct, receiving the severest of punishment from the IEBC: being barred from the race altogether.

According to a press release from IEBC chairman Wafula Chebukati, made the decision to disqualify the aspirant after he failed to abide by an earlier ruling by the commission’s The Electoral Code of Conduct Enforcement Committee.

Mr Netto had been told to desist henceforth from branding his campaign materials with ODM colors and further refrain from branding his campaign materials and regalia with images of the ODM party leader and officials. He was also ordered to remove all posters and campaign materials bearing ODM colors and images of the ODM party officials.

Mr Netto had also been ordered to pay a fine of Ksh250,000 within forty eight (48) hours and the Committee warned that should Mr Netto fail to comply with any of the Orders issued, he shall be disqualified from participating in the General Elections of 8th August, 2017.

“The Electoral Code of Conduct Enforcement Committee notes that the said Mr Netto failed, neglected and ignored to obey any of the Orders. The timeframe for compliance having lapsed on 24th June, 2017” Chebukati said in the statement.

Earlier on, the candidate had filed an Election Petition Appeal No. 124 of 2017 and an Application for Stay of execution seeking inter alia a stay of the decision and/or judgment of the Committee and an extension of time for compliance with the judgment.

However, on 30th June, 2017 the High Court of Kenya sitting in Nairobi dismissed the said Application and affirmed the decision/judgment of the Commission. This gave IEBC freedom to make the decision of disqualifying Mr Netto.

Therefore, the Commission has enforced the decision of the Committee of the 22nd of June, 2017, and has hereby directed that Augustine Netto Adhola has been disqualified from contesting in the August 8 General elections, Chebukati stated.

The Commission also cited complaints on reported acts of violence and violation of the electoral code of conduct in certain parts of the Country, including but not limited to Migori, Meru and Siaya Counties. The chairman said the complaints will be heard in due course.

“The commission will also continue to strictly enforce the Electoral Code of Conduct across the country and will also remain committed to delivering free, fair and credible elections free from violence or intimidation” said the IEBC chairman.

.





Stay Connected