Top Stories / 2017 Elections
Thursday, 29 Jun 2017 16:41 EATjmwihaki@kenyafreepress.com
Kiambu governor William Kabogo and the Member of Parliament for Tetu constituency Mr James Ndungu Gethenji last night defended the independent candidates running for seats in different positions in the coming election. Speaking on Citizen TV’s JKL Live Mr Ndungu said that the independent candidates were forced to make that decision after shambolic primaries.
However during the interview Mr Kabogo renewed his attack on Deputy President William Ruto accusing him of being part of the scheme that rigged him out during Jubilee Primaries.
Yesterday’s statement by Mr Kabogo came less than 24 hours after he was quoted telling Mr Ruto not to expect automatic support from the Mt Kenya region in his bid to succeed President Uhuru Kenyatta as president in 2022.
The governor, who was making the remarks for the second time, has also for the first time since 2010 sucked in the Head of State, by saying that the Kenyatta family, which has held key government and political positions since independence, was coming to an end.
Mr Kabogo, who is defending his seat as an independent candidate after losing the Jubilee ticket to Kabete MP Ferdinand Waititu, has accused Mr Ruto of being behind his poor performance during the primaries.
In a clip being shared in various county social media platforms by among others his rival Mr Waititu, Mr Kabogo said the DP should not expect “our” support unless there is development in the region.
The county chief said Mr Ruto was behind his downfall in a bid to silence him, claiming that he was the power behind Mr Waititu’s candidature, and that Kiambu people voting the MP as their next governor was equal to “committing development suicide”.
“I’m not being fought because of you (Kiambu people), but by those who want seats in 2022, but I will face them head-on and I’m not keeping quiet this time round. I’ve made a similar stand before when I said we will not give this person (Ruto) the seat just like that and I’m saying it again. We will not support him unless we see development,” Mr Kabogo said while addressing a gathering.
The governor during the JKL show also said that he did not ask for a job after DP Ruto said that he will offer him a job in the government during the Jubilee rally campaigns in Kiambu County. He instead said that he never lost during the nomination claiming that the results were counted after he left. He added that if the independent candidates win there will be no more party nominations in the country.
Mr Kabogo softened on President Kenyatta saying he will campaign for him after he failed to endorse either Jubilee candidate Ann Waiguru or Narc-Kenya leader Martha Karua for Kirinyaga gubernatorial seat. He said the president has given a level field between Jubilee and Independent candidates.
On his part Mr Ndungu Gethenji claimed he won the Jubilee nominations in Tetu before they were cancelled. He said the Tetu results had been counted and for the second, he was declared defeated which according to him was a through rigging. He added that the independent candidates are running in the elections due to their democratic right. He claimed to have done enough to deceive a second term in Tetu Constituency.