Top Stories / 2017 Elections
Thursday, 23 Mar 2017 18:03 EATnewsdesk@kenyafreepress.com
The Amani National Congress (ANC) led by former vice president Musalia Mudavadi has accused the electoral commission of plotting to rig the upcoming election in favour of the Jubilee government. The party claims that Jubilee top leaders had so infilitrated the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission that the two sides had a symbiotic relationship to influence the election and make huge amounts of money through irregular procurement at the agency.
Below is the party's press statement read ealier today.
ANC PRESS STATEMENT
IEBC TERMINATION COMPLICIT IN JUBILEE PLOT TO FORCE CORRUPT DIRECT AND SINGLE-SOURCING PROCUREMENT
1. Latest actions by IEBC, the Jubilee executive and the Police in relation to preparations for the next general elections confirm our worst fears that the electoral body is part of a wider conspiracy to compromise credible elections.
2. IEBC doesn’t admit that the cancellation of the tender to Gemalto SA, France, for the crucial Kenya Integrated Electoral Management System (KIEMS), was a result of exposure that the award was conspicuously being pushed by proxies of the Jubilee top brass in the Public Procurement Appeals Board (PPAB) that purported to direct the IEBC to award the KIEMS tender to Gemalto SA.
3. ANC is aware that this is a maturing grand plot to execute electoral fraud in which the blanket termination of the tender was pre-planned to abort timely procurement of the vital electronic components for the KIEMS without which the only option of conducting elections is the manipulative-prone manual voting system favoured by Jubilee but also blamed for the 2007/8 Post Election Violence (PEV).
4. The termination is deliberate sabotage against an Integrated Electronic electoral infrastructure. It is meant to complement the Jubilee-led mutilated electoral laws that re-introduced manual voting. The flipside is that the process of awarding was deliberately manipulated by Jubilee mandarins to abort so as to pave way for a corrupt direct or single-sourcing award. The procurement flaws where the technical specifications for the KIEMS were poorly done deliberately leading to scope overrun and non-alignment to its internal budget are a clear case of subversion to pave way for single sourcing mischief and reckless direct procurement amounting to conspiracies against the conduct free, fair and credible elections.
5.The IEBC has deliberately not managed the ICT issues prudently thus raising questions on the integrity of the procurement process. It is only in February that NASA alerted the country to suspect IEBC infractions in chaotic voter listing and procuring the electronic equipment. The IEBC response of March 15, 2017 promised to procure an integrated electronic voter registration and results transmission system in place by the legal timeline of April 10, 2017. IEBC didn’t honour its promise to involve stakeholders.
6. In the aftermath of the cancellation, IEBC should own up to the fact that the shenanigans at IEBC are subversion of the constitution and the will of the people of Kenya. IEBC can avert the looming disaster if it pulled out of the mischief and criminal conspiracies lodged in the procurement process.
7. NASA rejects the scheme to revert to a manual system and calls on IEBC to procure effective electronic components for the KIEMS that are devoid of corruption.
Hon. Kipruto arap Kirwa, EGH
ANC Deputy Party Leader