Top Stories / 2017 Elections
Monday, 23 Jan 2017 16:57 EAT
Deputy President William Ruto was this morning forced to cut short his plans for a rally at the Bungoma Bus Park after local youths disrupted security officials organising the meeting. The rowdy youths said Mr Ruto would never address them since they knew he would only be giving them "empty promises". The DP had received a cold reception in Mumias where he had earlier addressed a meeting to campaign for the Jubilee Party.
Eyewitnesses told the Kenya Free Press that Mr Ruto's convoy was heading into the Park when the youths, including boda boda riders, turned violent and blocked entry to the Park. The fracas brought business to a standstill at the market, with security officials in frantic efforts to salvage Jubilee Party campaign materials that were being torched.
With the fracas, Mr Ruto was forced to turn at the Mumias main road, going through the Mateka-Siritanyi road then Kanduyi. The youths chanted pro-ODM slogans and vowed not to let the DP address them. The youths who were chanting Pro-NASA and ODM slogans destroyed campaign materials handed out by Governor Kenneth Lusaka saying the region still lagged behind in development.
“We are tired of being taken for ride by the Deputy President, he has been here so many times yet our region still lags behind in terms of development,” said one youth. Mr Ruto, who was accompanied by Boniface Otsiula (Bumula) and Dan Wanyama (Webuye), later addressed a rally at Kanduyi market.
President Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy have been heckled by youths in their political backyards in recent days. Last Thursday, Mr Ruto was booed at Sogoo trading center in Narok County when he asked youths to register as voters as cast their ballots for the Jubilee Party. Over the weekend, President Kenyatta's entourage was heckled in Isiolo Town and Meru where he had gone to campaign for Jubilee.
The writer is the news editor of the Kenya Free Press