Sports / In-Depth
Monday, 22 Aug 2016 15:11 EATnewsdesk@kenyafreepress.com
Construction work on the multimillion Bomet Stadium is yet to resume, nearly a week after the casual labourers working on the site were sacked for protesting over delayed payment. The workers, who have not been paid their June and July salaries, went on go-slow early last week.
However, they were directed to resume work last Wednesday August 17, but they continued the go-slow, demanding the payment of their late salaries before resuming duty.
Bomet County government officials supervising the construction then asked the workers to stop work forthwith and await their salary payments, which they promised would be effected this week.
The workers’ go-slow is the latest in a litany of problems that have bedeviled the project whose funding has elicited serious conflicts in the local County Assembly between Members supporting or opposing the project.
At the end of the last financial year, MCAs rejected the county government’s proposal to inject a further Sh50 million to the stadium whose construction has gulped nearly Sh250 million. The project has also met with opposition from local opponents of Governor Isaac Ruto.
On Wednesday, the workers protested what they termed as ‘ill-treatment’ by the county government. A few of them who spoke to journalists said the local administration was downplaying the significance of their delayed payments.
“All the other workers at other projects have been receiving their pay on time, but ours has become a story for more than two months,” one protesting worker said.
However, the county official overseeing project, Paul Chelule, denied that the workers had gone on strike. He said the workers had been asked to pause for a short period as the county organized the supply of construction materials.
“We asked the workers to take a rest until next week to allow us source for some building materials such as cement which we ordered but are yet to receive,” he said.